Keeping fit and healthy leading up to summer can be tricky, especially with the multitude of social functions, end of year parties and Christmas celebrations. And then there’s the boxes of chocolates, cookies & sweets everywhere you look!
So if you want stay healthy and keep the extra kilos off with all this end of year business, you need to be prepared, especially when it comes to snacking! Ensuring you have pre-prepared healthy snacks on hand means you will be able to avoid the temptation of the unhealthy foods and stick to your healthy goals for summer.
Here are my top three snacks for busy people that tick all the boxes when it comes to nutrition, taste & convenience. They feature the Just Veg carrots sticks & shred range, which I recently discovered and fell in love with because they make healthy snacking so quick and easy.
Just Veg is a range of fresh, Australian-grown vegetables that are washed, cut and ready to eat. Just Veg was developed by a group of Queensland farmers’ wives, who take the veggies that aren’t supermodels and give them new life as easy, nutritious and delicious snacks and meal solutions for busy people.
Just Veg is sold exclusively in Woolworths in Queensland, NSW and Victoria. Find them in Fresh Cuts section of the fruit & veg section.
Fit Snack #1 – Carrot Protein Balls:
These protein balls are amazing! They will help boost your veggie intake up for the day and are the perfect post-workout snack; morning or afternoon tea; and can even be used as an after dinner treat when you crave something sweet. I recommend making them in advance. Keep them in the fridge or freezer for a quick snack when needed. They taste like a delicious carrot cake, rolled up into a ball of goodness and will become your new best friend.
Recipe: Carrot Protein Balls
- 1 cup Just Veg Carrot Shred
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup medjool dates, de-seeded
- 3 tbs honey
- 3 tbs chia seeds
- Sprinkle cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- Place all ingredients excluding carrot & coconut into a high speed blender & blend until combined.
- Add Just Veg Carrot Shred & coconut and mix again. Remove dough from blender & roll into balls.
- Refrigerate for 1 hr.
Fit Snack #2 – Veggie Sticks & Dip:
Crunchy, tasty & highly nutritious, carrot sticks are the perfect snack when you’re on the go. Just eat straight from the bag – or dip into a healthy hummus or veggie dip (try my beetroot dip recipe here) & you’re set! Plus thanks to Just Veg, you don’t even need to peel or chop you carrots. Just Veg has done all the hard work for you with their pre-chopped carrot sticks. So now you have no excuses!
Fit Snack #3 – Carrot Pikelets:
With this healthy Carrot Pikelet recipe, you can snack guilt free at any time of the day! These highly nutritious pancakes are an excellent post-workout snack & are super quick and easy with no messy grating required, thanks to the Just Veg Carrot Shred.
Recipe: Carrot Pikelets
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 cup Just Veg Carrot Shred
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup soy or almond milk
- 2 tbs desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and shredded coconut.
- In another bowl, combine together the coconut water, milk, maple syrup & vanilla. Add carrot & combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix.
- Add the chopped walnuts and stir again.
- Heat a non-stick pan and pour the batter into the pan to form pikelets & cook until the pikelets can easily be flipped. Repeat on other side.
- Cook another 2-3 minutes on the second side. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Keep in an air-tight container in fridge until ready to snack on.
Why I Love Using Carrots for Fitness Snacks
Carrots are extremely nutrient-dense, which means they have a high nutrient content for a small amount of calories. They’re particularly good if you are trying to lose weight! Carrots also contain both soluble fibre (in the form of pectin) & insoluble fibre (in the form of cellulose), which works to help keep you feeling full, stabilise your blood sugar levels & promote regular, healthy bowel motions, all of which assist with healthy weight loss.
Carrots are also great for those of you who workout and exercise regularly because they contain:
- Vitamin A (from beta-carotene), which is essential for healthy growth, development and immune function. Remember a healthy immune system means you won’t get sick & you can train harder, faster and stronger!
- Biotin, which plays an important role in fat and protein metabolism.
- Vitamin K (phylloquinone),which promotes good bone health, important when working out and aiming to increase lean muscle strength.
- Potassium, which is mineral essential for blood pressure control which is particularly important when exercising
- Vitamin B6 whichhelps you convert food into energy when you train
Sponsored Content: This article is proudly sponsored by Just Veg. Why? Because I love Just Veg and only recommend companies/brands/products that I truly believe in and who share the same approach to health as I do. All opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.