Recipe: Healthy Banana Cake
- 2 cups plain rolled oats
- 4 large ripe (black spots) bananas, peeled
- 4 tbs chia seeds mixed with 12 tbs water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbs of shredded coconut*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbs olive oil (or other oil of choice)
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup walnuts*
- Optional – can add a few tablespoons of honey or maple syrup for extra sweetness
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place chia seeds in a small container & add water. Allow to soak 5 minutes.
- Place 3 bananas, dates, chia, oil & vanilla into a blender (I use a Vitamix but any high speed blender will do). Blend until smooth & creamy.
- Add cinnamon & baking powder and blend. Then add oats, 1/2 cup at a time, blending until smooth.
- Stir in coconut & walnuts.
- Pour into an oiled glass baking dish, top with 1 sliced banana & bake for ~20minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Remove from oven & allow to cool.
- Can be stored in fridge for unto a week or sliced and frozen.
Pictured: My Healthy Banana Cake
*Editor’s Note: I am gifted with these ingredients from The Source Bulk Foods. They stock everything from nuts, to grains, seeds to healthy snacks. You can purchase in bulk so its much cheaper than buying commercially and they deliver straight to your door. 🙂