Recently I attended a makeup workshop by the beautiful Emmily Banks, aka Depths of Beauty. Emmily is an amazing eco-beauty, natural makeup artist with years of experience in the beauty and fashion industry. She only uses natural, organic, nourishing and eco-friendly cosmetics, and for very good reason.
Through Emmily Bank’s workshop, I was Introduced to infamous “Dirty Dozen”; 12 harmful toxins that are found in most mainstream cosmetics and personal care products. Eeek! These 12 toxins are absorbed through the skin and into your bloodstream & can be very dangerous and damaging to our bodies. Below are some of the “Dirty Dozen” & their harmful side effects. For a comprehensive list, read Emmliy’s post here.
1. Parabens – used as a preservative in skincare & makeup, parabens mimic the hormone oestrogen in our bodies and disrupts our endocrine system & has been linked to breast cancers.
2. Parfum (Synthetic Fragrance) – used in most cosmetics, Perfums can cause hormone disruption, headaches, dizziness, rash, hyper-pigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting & skin irritation.
3. Phthalates – found in synthetic fragrance, nail polish & hairspray, Phthalates are plasticising chemicals that have been linked to endocrine system disruption & birth defects.
4. Sodium Lauryl – found in most foaming cleansersm, sodium lauryl is a well-known skin irritant that is rapidly absorbed and retained in the eyes, brain, heart and liver, which may result in harmful long-term effects.
5. Petroleum – found in lip balms, moisturisers, foundations etc, petroleum causes the slowing down skin’s function and normal cell development, resulting in premature ageing and many other health and skin disorders such as contact dermatitis.
After learning of the harmful side effects of these chemicals, I decided to change my skincare and makeup and use natural, organic, eco-friendly products. I discovered a few different brands that I have come to really love & now use every day, including Derma e, Jurlique, Inika & Mukti.
From the Jurlique range, I love the Activating Water Essence which I pat onto my face after I wash it morning and night. I’ve been using it for a few months now and I’ve seen a significant improvement in my skin’s hydration.
From Inika & Mukti, I’ve fallen in love with all their products I’ve tried so far! Emmily did my makeup for a recent photo shoot I had & she used Inika & Mukti products, both which are natural, organic and eco-friendly. Usually I dislike wearing makeup and can’t wait to wash it off because my skin dries out, the makeup feels heavy & it often irritates my skin & eyes, plus I always break out the following day. But Emmily did such a beautiful job & by using the Inika & Mukti products, it honestly didn’t even feel that I was wearing any makeup. My face felt fresh & light but still had amazing coverage! If you’re in need of a makeup artist, I highly recommend Emmily & trying Mukti & Inika products! I now use Mukti skincare everyday. My favourite products are the Foaming Cleanser, Balancing Hydrating Moisturiser and Eye Serum. I also use the Clarity Balm Acne Treatment if I get a little spot appearing and it gets rid of it really quickly. And anytime I need to wear makeup, I use Inika. I absolutely love the Pure Primer, Liquid Foundation (I use the Honey colour) & Light Reflecting Highlighting Creme.
Editor’s Note: This is an independent review of products I was gifted with. All review opinions are my own & information on the skin care products was taken from.Emmily Bank’s workshop.