- 1/2 cup custard apple segments, seeds removed
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4x 100 g salmon filets
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable stock + 1/2 cup water
- 200 g snow peas, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 tsp miso paste
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp tamari
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Place quinoa, stock and water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to very low. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, remove from heat and set aside, still covered, for a further 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and tip onto a serving platter.
- Drizzle salmon with 2 tsp of the olive oil and cook in a pan. Remove salmon from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil and the sliced snow peas to the same salmon pan and sautee over medium-high heat for 1 -2 minutes. Add snow peas to the platter with the quinoa and toss to combine.
- Place 1 tsp miso, brown sugar and 2 tbsp water in a pan over medium-high heat. Whisk to combine and bring to the boil. Add custard apple pieces and stir for 20-30 seconds only. Remove pan from heat and spoon the caramelised custard apple onto the quinoa. Reserve any pan juices.
- Whisk together the reserved pan juices, remaining miso, rice wine vinegar, tamari, sesame oil and sesame seeds to make a dressing.
- Toss quinoa with the spinach and coriander. Flake salmon over the salad, and drizzle with miso dressing to serve.
Tip: To prepare custard apple: slice fruit in half, scoop large pieces of flesh from skin using a spoon, and remove seeds.
Recipe adapted from Custard Apples Australia