Did you know that fibre from grains is a key food source for the good bacteria in your gut?! Yep! Fibre is the only nutrient that makes it all the way through your digestive tract into your gut still intact! And this is where the good bacteria in your gut can feed on it, breaking it down and producing compounds that help to keep us healthy! Keeping our gut bacteria happy is vital for our overall health and wellbeing! And taking care of it doesn’t need to be complicated; it can start with some delicious pancakes for breakfast.
RECIPE: GUT LOVING PANCAKES
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 banana, peeled and mashed
- 1 cup Kelloggs All Bran
- 1 1⁄2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup of soy milk or other milk of choice
- 1⁄2 cup plain coconut yogurt or other plain yoghurt of choice
- 1 egg or 1 chia egg (1 chia egg = 1tbs chia seeds soaked in 3tbs water)
- Olive oil for frying
- In a large bowl, mix cereal, flour & baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, yoghurt, egg & mashed banana.
- Combine wet & dry ingredients & then fold in sliced strawberries.
- Grease a non-stick fry pan with a little olive oil & heat. When hot, spoon about 1/3 cup of batter onto the pan for each hotcake.
- Cook until lightly browned, flip, and cook until the second side is lightly golden.
- Serve & top with fruit of choice. Drizzle with honey & enjoy.
Pictured: Gut Loving Pancakes