Makes 2 Serves
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 300g tin corn kernels (no added salt)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 small brown onion, diced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 400g tinned black beans (no added salt)
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 small red capsicum
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lime
- 2 dollops plain yoghurt of choice – e.g. Greek style, coconut etc
- Sprinkle of parsley or coriander
- Cook brown rice according to packet instructions. Once cooked, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine diced tomato, red onion and parsley. Set aside.
- Heat frying pan on medium with olive oil and add garlic and brown onion. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add the cooked rice into the pan along with a dash of water to prevent drying out.
- Add tomato paste, capsicum, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. Stir until ingredients are mixed and warmed through. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse black beans with water. Set aside. Repeat with corn kernels.
- BUILD YOUR BOWL! Add the Mexican rice, beans, corn, tomato/red onion/parsley and avocado to each bowl.
- Slice and serve each bowl with ¼ of a lime and a dollop of yoghurt. Sprinkle on extra parsley or coriander and enjoy!
Recipe contribution by student Nutritionist Tahlia Claringbold from the Nourish Naturally team.