This is my absolute favourite salad during summer. I’ve been making it on repeat for our lunches and dinners.
I love the addition of raisins and almonds in this recipe. Raisins are high in potassium, which contributes to the maintenance of normal blood pressure.
Almonds are high in monounsaturated (healthy) fat, so when eaten as part of a healthy diet, almonds may help you to maintain healthy cholesterol levels reducing your risk of heart disease! There is research that suggests that adding almonds into your daily diet could help reduce wrinkles! This is because almonds are high in vitamin E which may aid in the protection of cells from oxidative stress (aka ageing).
Click here to watch me make it. Try it and let me know what you think!
RECIPE: Nutty Grain Summer Salad with Pomegranate & Parsley
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
1 cup freekeh
1 cup Greek yoghurt
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp honey
- In a small bowl, mix the yoghurt, cumin & honey until combined. Place in fridge.
- Cook freekeh according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Toast almonds on a fry pan until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a serving bowl, place parsley, red onion, cooked freekeh, almonds & raisins.
- Top with yoghurt dressing & pomegranate seeds. Mix to combine.
- Serve and enjoy.