Makes 2 serves
- 250g wholemeal spaghetti
- 1 medium zucchini, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 6 button mushrooms, finely diced
- ½ brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 400g tin brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 250g pasta sauce (salt-reduced / no added salt)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tsp tomato paste
- Handful of fresh basil
- Half fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add spaghetti when water is boiling and cook until al dente. Strain and set aside.
- Heat oil on fry pan and cook garlic until fragrant. Add lentils and diced veggies into the pan and stir until veggies have slightly softened and mixture has warmed through.
- Add tomato paste and pasta sauce to pan and stir until incorporated. Add Italian herbs, dried oregano, bay leaves and 4 leaves of chopped fresh basil. Mix until warmed through.
- Serve lentil veggies on a bed of wholemeal spaghetti and garnish with more fresh basil. Enjoy!
Click here to learn more about the health benefits of lentils.
Recipe contribution by student Nutritionist Tahlia Claringbold from the Nourish Naturally team.