Fun Food Fact: Sweet Potatoes don’t belong to the potato family, they are actually part of the root vegetable family!
Sweet Potatoes are a delicious veggie bursting with nutrition that are perfect for supercharging your favourite meals! They are:
- Very high in Vitamin A – essential for healthy eyes & skin
- Very high in Vitamin C – key for your immune system & helping to absorb iron from foods
- A source of the B vitamin – needed for energy release & preventing fatigue
- A source of potassium – needed for healthy nerve & muscle functioning
- High in fibre – needed for a healthy digestive system
Here is a healthy, mouth watering Sweet Potato Hummus recipe for you to try!
Recipe: Sweet Potato Hummus
- 2 medium Australian Sweet Potatoes (choose your favourite variety – there are four types of sweet potato: gold, red, purple & white).
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1x 410g tin of chickpeas (low-salt variety)
- 3 tbsp tahini*
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 lemon – juiced + grated zest of 1/2
- 1⁄2 tsp paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp cumin*
- 1 tsp sesame seeds*
- Preheat oven to 170°c. Wash sweet potatoes well and bake in the skins loose on the middle oven rack or in a baking dish for 45 minutes to an hour. You should be able to gently squeeze them when they’re done.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooling, toss all of the other ingredients into a high speed blender. Blend for 30 seconds until almost smooth. Add the sweet potatoes & blend well.
- Serve with sprinkled sesame seeds.
*I am gifted these ingredients from The Source Bulk Foods.