If you like banana cake, banana bread, or just cake in general (seriously, who doesn’t?!) then you need to try this recipe! This healthy banana cake passes the taste test with all ages getting 10/10 from everyone who has tried it! It’s a staple in our house making the perfect morning tea or afternoon tea snack, dessert & even breakfast (yes it’s so healthy you could eat it for breakfast!). Made with whole foods like bananas and oats, it has a low GI & high fibre content, meaning it will stabilise your blood sugar levels & keep you feeling energetic & full! It has no added refined sugars, no dairy & no white flour like most banana breads & has a good protein content with its walnuts and chia seeds! Its also perfect for kids lunch boxes (if they have a “nut-free” school policy, just make it without the walnuts). Try it and let me know what you think!
Recipe: Healthy Banana Cake
- 2 cups plain rolled oats
- 4 large ripe (black spots) bananas, peeled
- 4 tbs chia seeds mixed with 12 tbs water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbs of shredded coconut*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbs olive oil (or other oil of choice)
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup walnuts*
- Optional – can add a few tablespoons of honey or maple syrup for extra sweetness
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place chia seeds in a small container & add water. Allow to soak 5 minutes.
- Place 3 bananas, dates, chia, oil & vanilla into a blender (I use a Vitamix but any high speed blender will do). Blend until smooth & creamy.
- Add cinnamon & baking powder and blend. Then add oats, 1/2 cup at a time, blending until smooth.
- Stir in coconut & walnuts.
- Pour into an oiled glass baking dish, top with 1 sliced banana & bake for ~20minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Remove from oven & allow to cool.
- Can be stored in fridge for unto a week or sliced and frozen.
Do you struggle with continuous snacking, portion control and emotional and stress eating? Join The Nourish Naturally Program and gain control over your eating! Click here to find out more.
Pictured: My Healthy Banana Cake