This nutty risotto is perfect for Christmas celebrations! I’ve used walnuts for a delicious nutty crunch and the added health benefits of plant omega 3 ALA, plant protein, magnesium, potassium, folate, fibre and antioxidants! And did you know, preliminary research shows that walnuts may protect your brain cells against inflammation and the impacts of ageing, and a handful or two of walnuts a day can reduce total and LDL “bad” cholesterol!!
Here is the recipe:
Mushroom & Pumpkin Risotto with Crushed Walnuts
Makes 4 serves
2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 garlic cloves
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1L vegetable stock
2 cups brown or aborio rice
3 Tbs nut butter of choice (works well with cashew butter)
1 cup diced pumpkin
2 cups shredded baby spinach
1 cup crushed walnuts
4 sprigs of thyme
- In a large pot, heat 1 tbs oil and sauté garlic. Add mushrooms and cook for further 5 minutes.
- Add veggie stock and rice and cook until water is soaked up. Stir through nut butter.
- In a fry pan, heat remaining oil and cook pumpkin. Add pumpkin to rice once cooked.
- Once risotto is cooked, stir through baby spinach, thyme and half of the walnuts.
- Divide risotto between four and sprinkle with remaining crushed walnuts. Enjoy.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was created as part of my work with Nuts for Life.