Recipe: Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- 500g sweet potato
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg*
- 150g wholemeal flour
- 1 small onion, finely diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 cup shelled broad beans
- Handful of sugar snap peas
- Handful of spinach
- Handful of mint leaves
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 1 lemon juice plus zest reserved
- 25ml extra virgin olive oil
- Wash sweet potato & bake in the oven at 170°c for 45mins to 1hour or until the potato is soft.
- Once cooked, scoop the flesh of the sweet potato and place into a mixing bowl. Mix in nutmeg. Add flour ½ cup at a
time, kneading very gently after each addition (don’t over knead it).
- As the dough becomes easier to handle, transfer it to a clean floured surface and form it into a loaf around 25cm x 8cm. Slice a thin slice off the loaf and roll and stretch the slice on a floured surface until it forms a long, skinny rope-like shape. Cut the rope into 1-inch segments and transfer to a bowl: this is your gnocchi. Press the top of each gnocchi with the back of a fork.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add the gnocchi and simmer until the gnocchi rises to the top of the water. Drain and toss gently with a little olive oil to prevent sticking. At this point you can make the sauce.
- Warm a large flat bottom frying pan gently then add 2 tsp of olive oil. Gently sweat the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add the asparagus, broad beans & peas and continue to cook for 1-2 mins. Add the sugar snap peas and spinach, followed by the vegetable stock and lemon.
- Add your cooked gnocchi back to the pan before whisking in the remaining olive oil to thicken the sauce. Finish by adding the picked mint leaves.
- Serve with more picked mint leaves & lemon zest. Enjoy.