RECIPE: SATAY TOFU BURGER
Makes 1 serve
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp tamari
- 1/4 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1x100g slice of thick firm tofu
- 2 Baby cos lettuce leaves
- Handful of baby spinach leaves
- 2 slices fresh tomato
- Small handful of grated carrot
- 2 tbsp avocado
- Wholegrain burger bun sliced in half
- For the satay sauce; combine peanut butter, tamari, maple syrup, lime juice and garlic powder with 1 tbsp of water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat. Pour a small amount of tamari in the pan (roughly 1/2-1 tsp) and place tofu on top. Move the tofu around in the tamari gently and then flip to coat the other side in tamari. Cook on each side for 2 minutes.
- Once tofu is cooked, add boiling water to the satay sauce in small amounts and continuously mix until it reaches your desired consistency.
- To assemble the burger, smother half of the satay sauce on the top side of the burger bun and add lettuce. On the bottom side of the burger bun, spread with avocado and top with baby spinach leaves, tomato, grated carrot and the tofu. Pour the remaining satay sauce on top of the tofu.
- Place the top half of the burger bun on the bottom half and enjoy!
Editor’s Note: This recipe was created by Intern Dietitian Courtney Myers from the Nourish Naturally team.